Team Abu Dhabi’s Alex Carella will start the UIM F1H2O Grand Prix of France from pole position for the second time in two years.
The Italian set the mark for his rivals to chase with a 48.98s lap very early in the session, which proved to be too good and gives the tree-time world champion his 13th pole position.
Shaun Torrente’s hopes of taking his first Grand Prix win in France took a severe knock after the Victory driver crashed out of qualifying on just his fourth lap, his time of 52.35s putting him in 15th, but the American must wait to see how bad the damage to engine and boat is.
Any change would drop him further down the field.
Defending world champion Philippe Chiappe was unable to repeat his pole success of 2015 and will start from P2, the CTIC F1 Shenzhen China driver’s best lap of 49.78s just 8-tenths off Carella, with Mad Croc BABA Racing’s Sami Selio third quickest with a 49.89s lap.
UIM F1 H2o 2017 Grand Prix of France – BRM Qualifying result
1. Alex Carella (UAE) Team Abu Dhabi – 48.98sec
2. Philippe Chiappe (FRA) CTIC F1 Shenzhen China Team – 49.78sec
3. Sami Selio (FIN) Mad Croc Baba Racing – 49.89sec
4. Thani Al-Qamzi (UAE) Team Abu Dhabi – 49.90sec
5. Grant Trask (AUS) F1 Atlantic Team – 49.92sec
6. Ahmed Al-Hameli(UAE) Victory Team – 49.96sec